2021 #LibLooksReadingChallenge

 After a year hiatus, it seemed like a good time to revive #LibLooksReadingChallenge. Of course, the one year I decide not to do a challenge is the year that I read the most books. Who knew? I thought I would try to keep the momentum going in the new year by sharing some prompts, that will hopefully spark an interest in books I might not pick up otherwise.

The rules are simple: Read as many books as you want, whenever you have the time, using these prompts as a guide.

1. Someone recommended. A friend, a family member, a colleague...anyone! If no one has recommended anything recently, just ask! Us bookish folks love to share our favorite titles.
2. Has been on your TBR list for 3+ years. C'mon, I can't be the only one with a bottomless TBR list!?
3. Is a rewrite of a classic. I am not always a fan of rewrites, but I do find different perspectives on classics rather intriguing.
4. Has only text on the cover. Boring, I know. Trying something new -- text only.
5. Involves shopping, clothes or shoes. Because I love all three, simple as that.
6. Has a Goodreads rating of 4.5 or higher. Books like this are always great to help pull you out of a reading slump. I found this list but with the minimum rating requirement of 100, you might run into a few strange ones.
7. Is about a famous person. I was originally thinking about biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs, but you could opt for fiction or historical fiction if you prefer.
8. Has a different color spine than the cover. I don't know where I got the idea for this one from. I must have stumbled across one in the stacks one day and made a note on my phone. Needless to say, I have no suggestions as far as this one goes. Head to the library, wander through the stacks, see what jumps out at you.
9. Is nonfiction. Nonfiction really isn't that bad. I spent years avoiding them, for fear of being bored to death. Turns out I like them quite a bit. Give it a shot!
10. Has multi-generational characters. I read a book in 2020, Well-Behaved Indian Women, about three generations of women and I absolutely loved it. Having the POV from three separate generations was freaking phenomenal. I am definitely on the lookout for a hidden gem like that again.
11. Has a disabled character. I stumbled on this list a while back and realized I had a few of the titles on my TBR list. Sadly, yes, only a few. So let's do it.
12. Is set during the Cold War. Listen, I love all historical fiction. Buuut I do tend to gravitate more toward WWII. I am excited to learn more about the Cold War this year. Fiction or Nonfiction, that is the question.
13. Has a character with the same name as you. I literally just Googled "Books with characters named Amanda" and I admit, this prompt is ridiculous. And my apologies to the awesome folks out there with unique names. If any one needs me, I will be trying to decide whether to re-read my favorite childhood book of Amanda's First Day of School or find something else.
14. Involves a crime or federal agency. It doesn't have to involve a crime but knowing me, mine will. 
15. Is set in an office, hotel, or apartment complex. I read A Gentleman in Moscow a couple years ago and really enjoyed the setting. BUT I also see how it is rather limiting, so I extended it to include an office or apartment complex. The different types of characters you get in these settings is fascinating.
16. Has a color in the title. This sounds fun. Up until just a couple minutes ago, I did no prior investigation and was worried we would all end up reading the children't crayons books. Luckily, there are over 500 books on this list to choose from.
17. Is about a writer or writing. Again, inspired by a book I read in 2020 -- The Bar Harbor Retirement Home for Famous Writers (and their muses).
18. Was listed on the NYT 100 Notable Books of 2020. I love the variety on the list this year. I highly recommend His Only Wife. I think I am going to opt for The Vanishing Half since I bought it back in June and still haven't opened it.
19. Is your favorite genre. I am definitely a suspense/thriller girl myself. You?
20. Involves a vacation. Can you tell where my head is at? LOL.

If you have any book suggestions for any of these prompts, please leave a comment! I always love a good recommendation (+ that will give me prompt #1). Oh, and if you post your reads online, be sure to use the #LibLooksReadingChallenge hashtag so I can follow along!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram