Say it

I spent an obscene amount of time biting my tongue. Didn't see that one coming, did you? Truth.

When I was  a child (and teen), I had no problem saying whatever the hell I wanted. What did I have to lose? As it turned out, a lot I guess. Young people don't like those who are outspoken. You are supposed to agree or shut up. That didn't fly very well with me. I liked to stand out; to make a statement.

I quieted down a little bit in college. Emphasis on the little. I kept my mouth shut; I went with it. Then I learned what I really had to lose. My voice, my opinions, my identity...everything.


More recently, I have decided that I just don't care anymore. What is the point in not saying what you think/feel? If you want to someone to know something, you have to tell them. Last time I checked, we aren't all mindreaders. Why not just say it all?

It took me a while to realize that what I lost before (potential friends who wouldn't have been real friends anyway) was insignificant. Losing my voice was far more important. I have the right to say what I feel.

I'd rather have a life of Oh wells, than a life of What ifs.

If you don't like it, oh well. I would rather have a life of oh wells, than of what ifs. And you should too.

Speak out. Conquer on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram